The new Pastors' Class starts this week. I can't wait! Here are five reasons I'm excited to get started:
1. We are using a great book, After You Believe: Why Christian Character Matters by N.T Wright. I have read and re-read this book a few times and each time I come away with new insights. It is wise and compelling. Here is one of the quotes from the first chapter:
What is then the point of being a Christian-other than to go to heaven one day, and perhaps to persuade a few others to go with you? Is there any reason for doing anything much, after you believe, except to keep your nose reasonably clean until the time comes to die and go to be with Jesus forever?
The rest of the book is a way of answering those questions- and more. I have been looking for a way of sharing and discussing this book with others. Now I can!
2. N.T. Wright is one of the great contemporary authors that too few people know about. Many who do know about him misunderstand him. His writings cover the spectrum from academic to popular (this one is somewhere in the middle) and I believe he is a treasure that ought to be shared.
3. For the first time, Erik and I are teaching the same class. I will still teach the mid-week classes on Wednesday night (6:45- 8:00 pm) and Thursday morning (10:15-11:30- NOTE: This is the correct time, earlier publicity had us starting an hour earlier). Erik will teach the same material on Sunday mornings at 9:00. We have already shared ideas and thoughts and I'm looking forward to classes that will be even better because of the collaboration.
4. This class dovetails nicely into the new sermon series, "Me:2.0". If you are part of a LIFE Group, you will find that what you are reading and discussing in the Pastors' Class will inform and complement the reading and discussions of your LIFE Group. Doubtless, you will be showered with accolades and praises from your fellow group members for all the wisdom and keen insights you bring to those discussions (then again, they might think you are an insufferable know-it-all, so you might want to be careful about that!)
5. I love to teach this class. It is often the highlight of my week. The energy and discussion that comes from each class invigorates me. We have a lot of fun and we learn from one another. Plus, we eat pretty well, too!
So there it is, five reasons I am looking forward to the start of the Pastors' Class this Fall. If you are looking for something that will stimulate your thinking, stretch your understanding and grow your soul, I invite you to check it out.